Learn how to open Skype for Web in Firefox, Safari, and opera browser. If you have recently got an error message while opening web.skype.com, you are not alone. In case you have got an unsupported browser message on your screen, you can find the solution here.
Microsoft recently launched a revamped version of Skype for Web, which has stopped working in all the browsers except Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome. Although some Chromium based browsers such as Vivaldi can open the Skype for Web, you cannot use it in other browsers. As there is a huge amount of people, who use Firefox, Apple Safari and other browsers, they should make it available for them too. However, until an official update is launched, you can use these following steps to use Skype for Web in Firefox, Safari, and Opera browser.
Solution: Basically, you need to change the user agent. Almost every browser has this functionality. If you can change the user agent to Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge, you can use web version of Skype in any browser.
How to Open Skype For Web in Firefox
To open Skype for Web in Firefox, do follow the following steps.
- You can change user agent in Firefox browser with the help of an add-on called user-Agent- Switcher. Install this add-on in your browser.
- Enter https://web.skype.com/ in your URL bar and hit the Enter button. You should find Browser not supported error message.
- Click the add-on icon and select Chrome for Windows.
- Now reload the browser tab.
- Enter your Skype login credentials to open Skype for Web in Mozilla Firefox.
How to Open Skype For Web in Apple Safari
To use Skype for Web in Apple Safari, follow the below steps.
- Open Safari browser and click Safari > Preferences.
- Go to Advanced tab and make a tick in the checkbox that says Show Develop menu in menu bar.
- Open https://web.skype.com/ in Apple Safari browser and go to Develop menu in the menu bar and select Google Chrome – Windows or Mac.
- Page will reloaded automatically to open and use Skype for Web in Apple Safari.
How to Open Skype For Web in Opera
To access Skype for Web in Opera, follow the below steps.
- Open Opera browser and go to Developer > Developer tools. Alternatively, you can press Ctrl + Shift + I.
- Click the three-dotted button > More tools > Network conditions.
- In the Network conditions tab, remove the tick from Select automatically.
- Choose Chrome – Windows from the drop-down list.
- Reload the page to open Skype for Web in Opera browser.
That’s all! This is as simple as said.
Skype is, undoubtedly, the best instant messaging and VoIP service out there, which is being used by millions of people from around the world. You can install the desktop version of Skype. However, for that, you need to spend some storage. That is the reason, why Microsoft rolled out the web version of Skype, which doesn’t consume any storage or memory. However, the latest update has made a couple of thousand people upset by removing the support from Firefox and other browsers. Therefore, if you are one of them, who use Firefox, Safari, or Opera browser, you can check out these aforementioned steps to make Skype for Web work in all browsers.